Protect Yourself from Tax and Payroll Scams
Tax season is coming and scammers soon will be sending fraudulent e-mail messages that look like legitimate tax communications. Don’t become another victim. The ITD estimates that identity thieves have already stolen more than Rs. 1000 crore through tax fraud since 2012. Additionally, in 2016 alone, the ITD confirmed it discovered 787,000 identity theft tax returns totalling more than Rs. 400 crore and in 2017 a record high of 160000 victims of identity theft were defrauded of Rs. 250 crore. Likewise, it is not uncommon for scammers to also attempt to divert direct-deposit pay-checks into fraudulent accounts.
Be on alert for the following:
- Any message asking for pin, banking or other financial information.
- Authentic looking emails impersonating UC communications about accessing your DTD or your bank account.
- Messages that look like they are from executive management requesting copies of employee IT for review purposes.
- Messages that encourage you to click on links, ask for passwords, etc. Please note the ITD will NEVER initiate contact via email or social media.
- Unexpected phone calls about such messages, or asking you to install software or alter banking information.
- To access your Income Tax statement, go directly to Income Tax Department at Tax Information and services online instead of clicking on a link in an email.
- Likewise, to access your financial accounts, always type in the hyperlink for your bank. Never click on a link in an email or text message.
- Use known contact information to verify any request for password, banking information or other financial information, even if it looks like it’s from someone you know. For example, call them first.
- Do not reply to emails asking for your password or SSN.
- Familiarize yourself with the ITD so you recognize them.
Your Security Our Responsibility: RS Cyber Solution